February Update 2018
WE’RE BACK !
WITH LOTS OF NEWS AND UPDATES …
We’ll be bringing you from the past and into the present with our latest and biggest news first!
The biographical film, “The Legacy of Gilbert Klingel: Man of Steel” is deep in post production and editing. It’s release to television and DVD is expected in mid 2018. National Geographic has contributed heavily to the film with both archival photos from the aquascope project and film shot in 1953 in Mathews Virginia.
Klingel’s story is full of history and accomplishments of this Chesapeake Bay naturalist. The film team has discovered rare film footage, personal photos, and a wealth of Klingel’s writings and observations making this a comprehensive and remarkable story of the Chesapeake and of Klingel in the 20th century.
The film project is centered at the Mathew’s Maritime Foundation Boat Shop on Gwynn’s Island, where Klingel built his steel hulled boats, and will be an educational and historic work to increase interest and understanding of the bay area. Please support us in completing this wonderful project by contacting the Mathew’s Maritime Foundation and visit their website at www.mathewsmaritime.com.
Freya Journey Completed!
The Freya completed her journey home to Gwynn’s Island, Virginia on May 28th! Read more about the Freya Project.
More News . . .
- May 31, 2017 – Gazette Journal article “Homecoming celebration Saturday for The Freya“
- May 22, 2017 – Daily Press article “Historic boat returns home to Gwynn’s Island“
- November 22, 2016 – Gazette Journal article “The journey home“
Welcome to the Klingel Project’s new website!
In addition to preserving the history and legacy of Gilbert Klingel, this project is dedicated to engaging with the community. We are excited to work with partners such as the Mathews Maritime Foundation (MMF), Gwynn’s Island Museum and many others who have a special interest in maritime history, education and the Chesapeake Bay.
This website is currently in it’s infancy, so please don’t forget to return and see what’s new. Here’s a general outline of future plans . . .
- On this website, we will be publishing comprehensive documentation of Gilbert Klingel’s life and achievements. This component will be led by his daughter, Marcy Benouameur, who is now retired from the Smithsonian Institute and living in Mathews County, Virginia. She has been compiling and organizing historical information and photographs for many years, so we are very excited about what’s to come!
- We will be posting articles about the Freya, which is a steel-hull sailboat built on Gwynn’s Island during 1953. Freya is one of the few surviving boats built by Klingel, and was generously donated to the MMF during 2016. She was refitted in Florida and made the voyage back to Gwynn’s Island during spring 2017. With your help, she will be fully restored and maintained by the MMF.
- Dave Miller of Miller Productions of Virginia is producing a documentary film “Gilbert Klingel: Man of Steel”, which will include a segment about Freya’s return home. PBS will air this film, and we will keep you updated on news and details.
- We are also working with young people in the community by collaborating with students at Mathews County High School and helping to establish a Sea Scouts base in the county.
- Finally, we thank you for visiting and encourage you to get involved or donate to our projects.
See more Klingel historical photographs.